By Larry Judkins
Glenn County Observer
This is why we should all support our local fire departments.
Firefighters from all over Glenn County spent much of Saturday evening, Feb. 12, waging battle against a structure fire southeast of Orland.
The fire was in the Orland Fire Department’s district. At about 6:24 p.m., the dispatcher in Corning sent out the call.
Emergency responders reported heavy smoke in the area of County Roads P and 15. They also reported heavy traffic on County Road 15 and requested the California Highway Patrol be called to provide traffic control.
At about 6:26 p.m., the structure was reported to be “fully involved.” Mutual aid from Artois and Willows was requested.
The address was given as 7020 County Road 15. PG&E was also asked to respond.
At 6:28 p.m., it was announced that the residence was unoccupied. Everyone was out of the house.
Orland Fire Chief Justin Chaney reported that the involved structure was an approximately 3,000 square foot, two story home. He requested that the Corning dispatcher request mutual aid from the Hamilton City and Capay fire departments.
At about 6:34 p.m., a request went out to the entire county for water tenders. At 6:38 p.m., the Bayliss Fire Department announced it was responding.
At 6:41 p.m., the Corning dispatcher reported that PG&E had about a 10-minute estimated time of arrival. The dispatcher also said the (propane?) gas company employee was on the way, but a Glenn County Sheriff’s deputy stated that the gas to the property had already been turned off.
At 6:48 p.m., the Glenn-Codora Fire Department announced it was responding.
At roughly 7:30 p.m., Chief Chaney said the fire was contained to about a third of the house. Mop-up would continue for a couple of hours.
Units gradually began to be released from the scene.
For the Orland Fire Department, this was the 99th incident it has responded to this year. However, not all of Orland’s units were back in quarters when, at 9:29 p.m., the call for the 100th incident was received: a transformer fire with fire to the power pole near County Road P and Malton Switch Road.
Back at the structure fire on County Road 15, at 9:38 p.m., Chief Chaney reported that the property had been turned over to the owner. The remaining fire units were released.